And least but not last, the actual photomap.
Warsaw Old Town GIS Database.
The main idea of our work is to initialize the process of creating a database, storing information related to the Old Town, which will connect it with geographical informations. Our task in this process is to prepare the skeleton consisting of historic and contemporary plans of the Old Town and exemplary descriptions of the selected tenement houses located around the Market Square. The geographical database is planned to be filled with more information about other buildings, so that in future it could serve as a complete and trustworthy source of information about the Old Town and also as a model example of this kind of database.
Old Town plans used in project.
The database is prepared in arcMap, and it consists of overlapping drawing and the vector drawing of the Old Town.
1. Warsaw plan by T.E. Nicholson from 1831. Unprecise, and showing general overview about the city.
2. Warsaw plan by William Lindley, 1891 - 1896. Showing precise lines of buildings, created for the development of Warsaw's water system.
3. Warsaw Plan, 1935 (done for president Starzynski request)- planned development of Warsaw.
In area of Old Town it shows only blocks between streets.
4. Orthophotomap of Warsaw, 1935.
5. Orthopfotomap of Warsaw, 1945. Just after WWII the destruction of the city was documented from the air.
6. Current orthophotomap of Old Town, 2010.
Description of the selected buildings.
The second part of the Warsaw Old Town interactive map are descriptions of the buildings in the area. Descriptions prepared by our team refers to selected tenement houses surrounding the market square. Descriptions in pdf format, contain descriptive and visual information about them.
1. Selected tenement houses.
2. Exemplary building description layout
This layout will serve in future for developing the database and incluidng more buildings.
Chosen informations will serve to build functional, historical, infrastructural, architectural maps, if they would be developed. We could build the maps underlining the amount of stories, pharmacies, restaurants etc, for the basic analytical work on the Old Town, or any other areas in any other cities in the world.